Follow my outline in order to succeed!
I need my paper to be 10 pages without the reference page
Save your time - order a paper!
I need at least 5 sources in a work cited page in MLA formatIf you decide to share anything within the paper that is from a website I need there to be intent citations.
Gangs in Prison
Thesis statement: Gangs in prison tend to have both constructive and undesirable impacts on the society, victims, and offenders.
- Detailed history of gangs in prison
- The impact of prison gangs on the society
- The impact of prison gangs on offenders and victims
- The consequences or problems of gangs in prison
- The positive elements of gangs in prison
- The alternative approach for reducing gangs in prison
- Policy changes that would help reduce gangs in prison
- A discussion of the overview of gangs in prison
- Mentioning of what will be addressed in the essay of gangs in prison such as
- The impacts that gangs in prisons have on society, victims and offenders
- The consequences or problems that are associated with gangs in prisons
- The positive elements of gangs in prison
- Description and definition of what prison gangs are to get a picture of the issue that is being discussed (Brotherton, 2016).
- A brief history of how gangs in prison began through focusing on the year that it began and what facilitated them to emerge.
- The reasons that propagate prisoners to join gangs after being sent to prison by the courts.
- The structure and organization of prison gangs from how they are organized and also managed.
- To get more organized and structured protection because of the insecurity and harassment that exists in the prisons.
- To have the opportunity and space to sell illicit and illegal substances within the facility.
- Increases the consumption of harmful and illegal drugs in the community mainly among the young people.
- They also tend to influence violence in the society mostly because of influencing people who get out prison.
- Forming of gangs in the society by those prisoners and inmates that have been released after serving several years in prison.
- Creation of conflict between inmates and prisoners especially when there are disagreements and arguments.
- Offenders and victims sustain injuries because of conflicts that may emerge in the prisons especially between gangs (Mitchell, Fahmy, Pyrooz and Decker, 2017).
- It also leads to deaths of offenders and victims when there are immense conflicts between the gangs in prison.
- The increase of assaults and attacks in prisons especially on the inmates or prisoners that do not belong to any gangs.
- Increase of drug abuse and consumption in the prisons because the gangs tend to supply inmates with drugs
- They usually tend to dictate how every inmate in prison will behave mostly because of the influence and power they have in the prisons.
- They also, in general, make the lives of normal inmates to be very stressful and hard mostly because of harassment and torture.
- Promotion of racism and discrimination in the prisons because of the different opinions of gangs
- The prison gangs help in regulating things like alcohol and cell phones among other things.
- They also help in keeping order in the prison especially when there are no disagreements between the gangs
- They also help in resolving conflicts in prison mostly because they tend to control a lot of inmates and prisoners.
- Most gangs in prisons also help in creating respect as they help in ensuring the inmates engage in legitimate activities
- They also become a substitute family for inmates and prisoners who have no contact with their relatives or families (Tapia, Sparks and Miller, 2014).
- Ensuring that prisoners have more contact with their families and relatives which will help in refraining them from joining gangs.
- Suppressing and isolating the gang leaders with the other prisoners mainly through segregating them.
- Reducing the number of prisoners in a particular prison facility mainly through the government building more prison facilities.
- The government should also build more security housing units where the leaders of the prison gangs would be settled.
- Changing rules patriating to prisoners or inmates who will be found to have created their own gangs.
- Developing a policy that would encourage people to leave gangs such as reducing sentences for those prisoners that are not involved with gangs.
- Creating a policy where inmates are on a probation of approximately three to four years for their sentences to be taken into consideration.
- An overview of everything that has been presented about the issue of gangs in prison.
- A closing statement on the issue that has been discussed.
Brotherton, D. C. (2016). The Social Order of the Underworld: How Prison Gangs Govern the American Penal System.
Mitchell, M. M., Fahmy, C., Pyrooz, D. C., & Decker, S. H. (2017). Criminal Crews, Codes, and Contexts: Differences and Similarities across the Code of the Street, Convict Code, Street Gangs, and Prison Gangs. Deviant Behavior, 38(10), 1197-1222.
Tapia, M., Sparks, C. S., & Miller, J. M. (2014). Texas Latino prison gangs: an exploration of generational shift and rebellion. The Prison Journal, 94(2), 159-179.